Sunday, July 15, 2012

July 14 - Columbus, Indiana and College Memories

First Christian Church, Columbus, IN, Eliel Saarinen, architect
Our memories often deceive us. I remember the excitement of playing a "nooner" recital at First Christian when I was a student at Indiana University. I've decided that what made the organ exciting to play was the four manual console and the lovely acoustic. After playing it today I found it missing many things that will be present on the Johns Creek Aeolian-Skinner - Opus 408-D. Well balanced mixtures, lovely character reed stops, and a clean console. They even had thumb tacks all over it. Memories fade though, and the picture left from college was of fun trips through the Brown County State Park to get over to Columbus and a good excuse for skipping a few classes to practice and play a recital for a day!

Interior of First Christian


North Christian Church, Columbus, IN - Eero Saarinen, architect

One of my favorite churches of all time. I have fond memories of getting to accompany a concert of English Cathedral Anthems there (on a Holtkamp no less - organists will wonder at that one), and of my time as interim organist/choirmaster. At that time I was Chapel Organist at Indiana University as well. I had a weekly recital series to manage and play, 4 or 5 weddings a weekend, full-time class load and the church job (adults, children and handbells!). No one ever told me I couldn't do it so I just pushed ahead. Not always the best plan but things turned out well.

Interior of North Christian Church

Beck Chapel, Indiana University

The position of Chapel Organist at a major university sounds high and exalted. Well here are pictures of the chapel. It seats about 50!

Beck Chapel Interior, IU

That's the back of the Van Daalen Pipe Organ in Beck Chapel on the left. You can see the mitered (bent) wooden pipes. It was a definite improvement over the Baldwin spinet in the chapel when I matriculated at IU!

No comments:

Post a Comment